Monday, February 4, 2013

Maybelline Color Sensational Vivids: Hot Plum

Swatches & Review

One of the newest lip collections out for Spring is Maybelline's Color Sensational Vivids LipColor. Their line of Vivids consists of 10 super-saturated shades & they are bright!
The Vivids lip line is packaged with a bright orange tube.
The lipstick in the picture looks bright already, doesn't it?
In some angles, it looks more purple than it does pink.
For the first lip picture, I took it in direct sunlight. The other two were taken indoor, with the middle one being in front of the window.

When it is outdoor, you can see that it is more of a fuchsia-like pink, but indoors, there is a slight sheen of purple. When swatched on arm, it is definitely a bright pink. There is a sheen to these for the finish. They feel a bit moisturizing in the first hour, but after a while, they felt drying on my lips so I think moisturizing your lips about an hour before applying the product would be better.
Overall, I am really impressed with Maybelline's Vivids line. I have never actually tried Maybelline lipsticks, so trying Hot Plum as my first color was not bad at all. Although the shade name has "plum" in it, it was not really plummy, which was a bit disappointing for me. There is a slight sweet scent to the lipstick, but nothing too overbearing. However, the lipstick itself was very pigmented. Though it was not the color I thought it would be, the pigmentation of this was amazing! For my swatches (lip & arm), I only used one layer of lipstick & it was already bright.

One thing I do hate about these were the packaging. It was packaged in a orange tube. I would have liked it better if the color of the tube matched with the shade (it would look very fun too), but another thing that I was not okay with more was the fact that they were not sealed! A lot of drugstore lipsticks are not sealed with shrink-wrap, but even Revlon has a sticker to make it harder for a person to open it in the store (though people still rip off the sticker to try), these had NOTHING! No shrink-wrap, no sticker to prevent someone from opening it. I has to go through three of these at my Target to find one that was untouched. I find it interesting that even Wet n' Wild had shrink-wraps for their $1 lipsticks and Maybelline could not even put a sticker on for a lipstick that costs way ore than WnW? That was one of the main negatives from this.

For drugstore lipsticks, they are normally more on the neutral and darker side, so seeing bright shades at an affordable price is definitely a plus in my book. I have been trying shades out of my comfort zone lately so these came at the perfect time. I purchased mine at Target for $5.21 (regularly $5.49), which is a good price for these lipsticks. Walmart has them for $5.49 and Ulta, CVS, & Rite Aid has them for $7.49 - $9.99.

What do you think about these lipsticks? Have you tried anything from Maybelline's Color Sensational Vivids line? Which is your favorite?

8 comments:

  1. the orange packaging is really throwing me off... but the orange vivid lipstick is my faveeee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish the caps were the same color as the lipstick itself, lol. Which orange did you get (since there's two)? I want to try one of the orange ones! I only have this and Brazen Berry (which I have yet to try).

      Delete
  2. Wow. I think it's amazing this lipstick looks so different on you than it does on me! I'm actually shocked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this color...but I am with you on the no shrink wrapping thing...I mean, it really is unhygenic. Looks great on you, you have great lips to pull it off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, & not even a sticker between where the cap opens either :( & thanks! :)

      Delete
  4. I actually thought these were similar to Revlon's Lip Butters based on the packaging. I'm with you on the lack of shrink wrap, it doesn't seem like to much to ask for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did too! lol. The packaging definitely reminds me of it, but I like that these aren't round-shaped like lip butters are 'cause it's a bit harder for me to apply those nicely. Seriously! & I hate how people swatch the new items even though there was another one that has already been swatched!

      Delete